Find a Practitioner (email us)
September 07, 2019 4 min read
We all know that it's not safe to mix electricity with water, let alone stick your feet into that water! Yet that's exactly what it seems we're doing when using an ionic footbath. There's so many footspas out there - but do they all have the same safety features? What about ones you can make yourself for a fraction of the cost - how safe are they? Read on to find the answers to these pressing questions! Spoiler: DIY ionic footbaths are NOT safe, please don't attempt to make one!
When you're using a machine that relies on electricity, you want to make sure that you've got no chance of a) being electrocuted (pretty important), and b) not having something expensive blow up. Especially if it's a $4,000 footbath!
Those of us who remember the 80's will also remember warnings to stay off the telephone during a thunderstorm. That's because there is a small risk of electricity being passed through the telephone line to your phone, if the supply is hit by lightning. We also know that in order to protect our expensive electrical equipment from getting fried from electrical overload or pulsing, we need a surge protected powerboard. This stops the damage at the powerboard, rather than letting it pass through to our brand new surround sound theatre system.
The IonCleanse® by AMD has a dedicated medical grade power supply with an extremely low voltage and amperage. They're the same type that hospitals use for their electrical equipment. This means that in the event of a power fluctuation, the supply will short out and not allow the surge to pass through. This protects not only the user (you or your kids), but it also stops the machine from blowing up if you happen to be using it during a thunderstorm. It's much cheaper to replace the power supply than the control unit or your house! If the control unit is dropped into the full footbath tub, it will not pass any electricity into the water. Yes, it's happened before - and nobody was hurt and the machine was left to dry out and continued to work fine.
Have a look at the back of the power supply for your laptop, and you might see something like, "For use with Information Technology" or similar. That power supply is not safe to have around water, and if you happen to drop it into a bathtub, it will most likely fry your laptop. Warning - please don't try this out, just take our word for it! Your power supply can also tell you a whole lot of other things - like if it's even legal to be sold in your country.
When you're buying an electrical item from a store in Australia, you expect that it's passed local safety testing. If you're buying on the internet however, that might not always be the case! We recently heard about a popular ionic footbath, which had failed testing required in the United States. To wrap your head around this, check out this video by Tyler Lewis and Neill Moroney.
Did you know that an electrical item could feed electricity back into your house or the grid? We didn't either! That's why safety criteria exist, requiring manufacturers to prove their electrical products are safe and won't affect other gadgets. After all, we don't want our Smart TV to blow up because of our cheap hairdryer!
There's two types of electromagnetic energy that an electrical item can produce - conducted and radiated. To learn more about what these are, head on over to this blog by AMD which explains it quite simply. Different countries have different regulations, so your plug may have a number of confusing letters and logos on it. Australia has its own, additional certification process to meet before an electrical product is allowed to be sold to anyone in the country. You can see the Australian certification for the IonCleanse® by AMD footbath power supply here.
Apparently some people have actually done this. They've taken metal, electricity, water and feet, and stuck them together. I'm sure we would all love to save money, but why anyone would want to risk electrocuting themselves (or worse yet - their kids), is totally beyond us. Please don't ever try this at home - it just takes one wrong move and the consequences could be deadly.
The IonCleanse® by AMD has gone through a number of (really long and boring) safety studies. For those of you who are heavily into this sort of stuff, we've linked the tests below. You're welcome!